Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.
CO poisoning occurs when you breathe in the gas and it replaces oxygen in your bloodstream. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die. Even small amounts of the gas can cause CO poisoning, and long term effects can include paralysis and brain damage.
Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:
Other signs that could point to CO poisoning:
Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.
See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – let them know that you suspect CO poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check.
If you think there is an immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.
Ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem.
Ableforce Services is Gas Safe registered and fully qualified to advise on the safe installation of gas appliances.
Any of the following could be a sign of CO in your home:
Faulty appliances in your home can lead to CO poisoning. Get your gas appliances checked regularly to avoid this.
Modern CO alarms are similar in design to smoke alarms (which do not detect CO) and can be purchased from around £15 at many major retail outlets including DIY stores and supermarkets. Before purchasing an alarm, make sure it is marked to EN 50291 and has the British Standards Kitemark or another European approval organisation’s mark on it. We do not recommend the use of ‘black spot detector’ warning strips – they are too easy to miss and won’t alert you if you have a CO leak when you’re asleep.
It’s advisable to fit an alarm in every room with a gas appliance – when installing and siting the alarm make sure you refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. Typically, audible CO alarms have a battery life of up to 5 years. If you’re unsure which alarm to get, you can ask a Gas Safe registered engineer for advice.